*I understand there is a post similar to this on SBN Cleveland. These are my own opinion.*
With the season nearly upon us I wanted to give my opinion on the easiest and the toughest opponents that the Buckeyes will face this year. The cupcakes will be at the top followed by the knee knockers at the bottom.
With the season nearly upon us I wanted to give my opinion on the easiest and the toughest opponents that the Buckeyes will face this year. The cupcakes will be at the top followed by the knee knockers at the bottom.
Eastern Michigan @ OSU- Seriously EMU, just stay home. I know that the paycheck is very enticing but is it really worth the physical beat down that you will get from the Buckeyes? Just think long and hard before you board that bus for Columbus.
Please god, not this again.
Marshall @ OSU- As a student at BGSU during the early aughts, I can remember Marshall being quite a force in the MAC and running up and down the field against my Alma mater. Times have changed however and the move to Conference USA has not been a good one for MU. The thundering herd will be fired up to open the season in the shoe and will probably hang in there for a quarter or so but I don’t see any real challenge from the boys in Green and White.
Ohio @ OSU- I think just the thought Of Boo Jackson running around the shoe in our last contest against the Bobcats was enough to bump Ohio above Marshall. These inter- state contests can be tricky. Most of the opposing players are usually ticked that they aren’t playing home games in Columbus and have a chip on their shoulder. Plus, OSU has that ridiculous unbeaten streak against foes from the state that I am sure is tacked to locker room billboards across the MAC. I am sure someday this string of wins will be broken but it won’t be this day… or any day that I am still alive.
Indiana @ OSU- Ben Chappell and Co. will invade the shoe with some pretty decent weapons in said Quarterback and his number one target Tandon Doss. They have the potential to have a pretty good offensive attack but will be hard pressed to stop anybody on the other side of the ball. Unfortunately, the Hoosiers are going to run into THE best defense when they play THE Ohio State University (I have a few people that read this blog which will absolutely hate that I used the phrase tOSU. Your welcome guys). OSU wins but this one but it could be tougher than in past contests against Indiana.
Buckeye's first trip to TCF a good one?
OSU @ Minnesota- This will be the silver bullet’s first visit to TCF Bank Stadium and I am sure the locals will pack the place to the gills (with a large contingent of OSU fans no doubt). Night games on the road are never easy and the gophers will put up a fight for awhile. However, the talent gap between these two is grand canyonesque (yeah, it’s a word now) and might get ugly by the third quarter. If nothing else, we can all be thankful that we don’t have to watch games in the Metrodome anymore.
Purdue @ OSU- With Purdue Harbor still fresh in the minds of the Buckeye faithful, I expect this to be a revenge game. Purdue does field a good defense with some legitimate playmakers. I know I still have vivid nightmares of Ryan Kerrigan toying with our OL last season. However, this game is in C-Bus which negates that train whistle factor. I like the Buckeyes by a couple touchdowns but the OL must do a better job against their talented DL.
OSU @ Illinois- For some reason the Illini always seem to play OSU tough and this year may be no exception with the game being played in Champaign. The Zooker will have his troops fired up but it won’t be enough. Dreamy hair can only get you so far on the football field. Big Ten road games are always a challenge but the Illini just won’t have the talent in the end. That doesn’t mean that the bucks can take this week off. All Tressel has to do is show the replay from 2007.
Pryor's got some unfinished business to attend to.
Penn State @ OSU- The Nittany Lions should have a good rushing attack (if Royster decides to show up) and will present a good test for OSU. Unfortunately for their outrageously annoying and unbearable fan base they have no quarterback with any real game experience. Sure, Newsome has had some mop up time but bringing a guy with limited experience into the shoe is no way to win. They will have to try and ride the legs of Royster and I know a certain front 7 that is licking their chops thinking about that. Usually PSU would be a lot closer to the top of this list but I just don’t see them putting up much of a fight this season with the game in Columbus.
Michigan @ OSU- What a sad and embarrassing time it is in Ann Arbor. Did you ever think 4 years ago TTUN wouldn’t a least be in the top two difficult opponents? I know I didn’t. I still put them as the 4th toughest contest just because it is still “The Game” but I struggled to put UM this high. There is always a chance that the unthinkable can happen but I just can’t fathom an upset in the shoe this year. Tate and Velcro may still be sharing snaps by this point in the season which destroys the continuity within an offense. Will DickRod still be head coach when Thanksgiving weekend comes? Probably, but it may be his last game on the sidelines for the Maize and Blue.
Enough is enough..
Miami @ OSU- The first big test for the Buckeyes comes when the Miami Hurricanes invade the 'Shoe on Sept. 11. I am already sick and tired of the talking heads discussing the ’02 championship game and it has not even begun yet. The hype for this game will be huge and I am mentally preparing myself to see replay after replay of a certain pass interference call from 8 years ago. Jacory Harris is a dual threat QB that could give the Buckeyes some headaches. However, they see a superior version in practice every day so the silver bullets should be ready. Miami will have the athletes to compete but Tressel should have our boys ready for this one.
OSU @ Iowa- The Hawkeyes will have revenge on their mind when OSU visits Kinnick stadium late in the season. OSU barely escaped with a victory last year even though they were facing an unproven and very young QB. Over the past few seasons, everybody’s favorite coach of the year has built a pretty solid team in Iowa City. The Hawkeyes boast a tough defense, a good quarterback (when he throws it to the right team) and a solid running game. This may serve as the Big Ten championship game as both teams could be undefeated. There could be BCS bowls on the line as well as MNC implications for this one.
Will Wisky Jump Around?
OSU @ Wisconsin- This one scares me the most. Getting out of Madison with a victory is never easy. Scott Tolzien, John Clay and Nick Toon form a dangerous trio for the Buckeyes to deal with. Throw in the best OL in the Big Ten (maybe the country) and you have a very formidable opponent. The game is also under the lights which gives their obnoxious fans ample time to fuel up before kickoff. Although the Buckeyes will have their hands full, Pryor has been there before. As we all know the Wisconsin game a couple years ago was really his coming out party. I am confident that the bucks have the firepower to win this game but it won’t be easy. Wisconsin is a definite contender in the Big Ten this year.